Saturday, December 20, 2008

Europe is an Amusement Park

They make you pay for everything, including the bathroom. In places I know like Riga, I know ways to get around this(my friend, who is a girl, goes up to the lady who collects the money and holds up a tampon with a grimace and is let in immediately), or places to go instead (big shopping centers tend to have free bathrooms), but I was stuck in a Polish bus station where I didn't know anything. I looked around for a while, but it seemed there would be no getting out of the 1.15 zloty charge to use the stupid toilet.


I bought the cheapest, biggest loaves of bread I could find and shoveled my face with them, washing it all down with dollar hot chocolate. If I was gonna have to pay to defecate then dammit I'd get my money's worth. I ate another loaf of bread and then went to the bathroom, slamming my change on the counter with a mischievous grin and then going into the stall. I sat down and then realized that they'd won the battle. There was no toilet paper. The bastards. Luckily I had some extra toilet paper in my pocket for emergency uses, but still, I left the experience feeling very defeated.

No comments: